Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Yes to fashion...or deny myself?


The only fun thing about fall is the fashion--at least in my opinion. Cashmere sweaters. Pull-on boots. Scarves. It almost makes the cold snap worth it. BUT I married a man who balks when I buy something I don't genuinely need...or spend money anyplace other than a thift shop! He even stretches out his contact dailies for months on end! It's been a huge challenge for me.
But it's also showed me what a huge learning curve I have in using my resources wisely. I could spend $30 on a new sweater...or send it to a child in a third world country through organizations like Compassion Intl. As a Christian I often struggle with guilt when desiring nice things. Right now I'm debating whether to purchase a new car. Is it selfish of me to want a new Mazda 5 when I could keep trying to maintain a '96 Camry? My husband wants to save our money to do something REALLY BIG for God's kingdom. His focus is maximal eternal impact.
What do you think? Do you feel bad to have more than the bare necessities?

No comments: