Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The bystander effect

My stomach churned and my heart ached as I read about a 15-year-old California girl who was gang raped and beaten for two hours outside her school's homecoming dance as 20 people watched or took part. Some laughed. Others took pictures.
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE CRY--OR CALL--FOR HELP?!
I'm so sickened over this...today my mind is still preoccupied with the depravity of humanity. I've spontaneously prayed for this girl throughout the day. Jeff & I discussed this story with the children last night (omitting the term "rape" and replacing it with the term "attack")...We challenged them to stick up for their classmates if they're being bullied and to stand their moral ground even if others around them don't share their convictions. If they see someone inflicting harm on someone else and they fail to say anything or inform an authority figure, they share in the guilt of the perpetrator--at least, in my opinion.
Psychology experts say a phenomena called the "bystander effect" kicks in when a large number of people witness a crime. If you're in a crowd and no one's taking action, then inaction becomes the norm. Responsibility among the group is diffused.
It's because of this detached mentality that an innocent 15-year-old girl is in critical condition, no doubt feeling used and betrayed beyond comprehension.
If you get a chance today, please lift her up in prayer.

No comments: