Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat

Let's hear it for Max from "Where the Wild Things Are" and the prettiest 50's girl who ever lived! The kids looked so yummy I just wanted to eat 'em up! My mother-in-law hand-sewed Max's phenomenal costume. He looked so darling, everyone who handed the kids treats thought Max was a girl! He wasn't exactly thrilled about that. Now Max has a complex. Next year he wants to be something decidedly masculine...like Superman!

We took the kids trick-or-treating for a while before heading over to a Harvest Party at Trinity Mennonite Church in Morton. They throw the absolute best party on Halloween night complete with carnival games, pumpkin decorating, crafts, candy, and tons of toys. My main incentive for joining the festivities, though, was getting a chance to see my baby niece...is she not the cutest little monkey you ever saw?
We were all having a great time until the party ended and the host announced that there wasn't enough candy for all the kids...so the children who regularly attended the church would have to wait until tomorrow to get their candy bags. They understandably wanted to make sure their guests didn't leave empty-handed. But I felt so guilty because Max and Laney each got a bag (on top of the all the candy they collected while trick-or-treating) while lots of other kids were bawling because they weren't getting candy on Halloween.
As Jeff and I walked to the car, we talked about giving the kids' candy bags away to those who didn't get any. But at the same time, we didn't want to incite World War II with the kids. And we didn't know how to distribute the two candy bags to all those children.
In hindsight, I regret not acting on my kind impulses...there was one girl in particular who caught my eye and I just wanted to grab Laney's bag and give it to her...ugh, I feel bad just thinking about it! But we all make mistakes...and hopefully her parents took her trick-or-treating to make up for it.
Alrightee...it's now time for me to make up for the lack of sleep I've been getting all week. Yay for changing our clocks back an hour tonight! Sweet dreams, everyone...

1 comment:

Lynnae said...

Hey Catherine ... it's Lynnae (the event coordinator for the harvest party at Trinity). I don't want you to feel so bad about the kids that did not get treat bags the night of Halloween. We had over 200 children attend and only less than 20 did not get a treat bag that night. But believe me it was well worth the wait ... the next morning, each child received over 3times as much as they would have received the night before. :-) They were all VERY happy.
Thanks for coming .. I didn't get a chance to say hi, but I talked to Jeff briefly. And yes, your kids are adorable ... and so is your niece. ;-)