Monday, August 31, 2009

O Holy Sights


The faithful flock here in droves every day. St. Peter's Basilica remains one of the holiest sites in Christendom. It also stands on the very site where the apostle Peter was crucified and buried. His tomb is under the main alter and other popes have been buried there as well.
It's hard to describe the grandeur of the church. The dome was designed by Michelangelo who became the chief architect in 1546. Until recently it was the largest church in the world with the capacity to seat 60,000. Every bit of space on the walls is designed to reflect the most ornate monuments and artistry money can buy. It's also amazing to see a place that's so familiar to us thanks to television.

Earlier in the day we visited the Sistine Chapel, the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. You have to crane your neck to view its renown ceiling, painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512. Unbelievable. I think any other art museum I visit in the states will be a huge disappointment compared to this. You could spend hours enjoying the artistry of the Sistine Chapel if you have a keen appreciation for it.

Unfortunately, a lot of this stuff is lost on me! I like to zip through the museums but Jeff likes to listen to all the audio commentary and take it all in. I'm lucky he's here to guide my way. I'm terrible at reading maps but he takes us from one place to another with ease even though he's never traveled overseas before.
Ok, time for a nap. I hope you're enjoying the beauty of your surroundings, too...wherever you are!

No comments: