Thursday, September 3, 2009

Under the Tuscan Sun

Have you ever had one of those days when you're just so grateful to be alive? I enjoyed one of those days yesterday. My senses were thrilled by the lush, rolling hills of Tuscany. It's an ever-changing scenery of vineyards and olive trees in every shade of green you can imagine. Our bus also took us to the city center of Siena and to the beautiful town of San Gimignano. It was by far my favorite day of the trip so far. Had I known how gorgeous Tuscany would be, I would've skipped Rome & Florence and rented a villa in Tuscany. Next to my hometown of Hawaii, I think it's the prettiest place on earth.
I feel a pang of guilt for enjoying an overseas vacation while our economy is in a recession...so I feel compelled to explain why we're taking this trip: My grandmother blessed us by financing this dream of mine. Jeff & I never had a wedding or a honeymoon...and since we're financially supporting his two children, we live very frugally in a tiny home in a low-income neighborhood and drive ancient cars that are falling apart! I've always longed to experience Europe with someone I loved...and I regret not making travel a priority when my life was simpler.
So I seized the chance to take Jeff to Italy...It's been great for our marriage to fall in love all over again in such a romantic city and pretend to be bona-fide newlyweds...and to create memories that'll last a lifetime. Jeff has never traveled overseas before so it's especially adventurous and eye-opening for him to engage another world-view. Since I'm a bi-racial blend myself, I find this terribly important.
My internet connection is spotty in Florence so my posts will be less frequent. Hope you're enjoying yourself wherever you are!

No comments: