Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lazy Sunday

I'm trying to enjoy my lazy Sunday morning but I've got pangs of guilt. I skipped church. As a matter of fact, my entire family did. It took a ton of arm twisting of my husband to agree to this. But I plead my case: (a) I've got a migraine. (b) My week's been crazy busier than usual and I need a break. (c) My parents are coming into town today.
Now just to be clear, I'm not an advocate of making church-skipping a habit. As a family we benefit tremendously from fellowshipping with other Christ-followers, worshiping the Lord in a corporate setting, and hearing the Lord speak through our pastor. And it's especially important for the kids to learn about the Lord in their Sunday school classes.
Jeff was kind of disappointed when the kids let out a resounding, "YAAAAAYYYY!!!" when I said we wouldn't be going to church today. But I don't think that means they don't enjoy church. I just think that--like me--they enjoy a change of pace and one day of unstructured time together as a family...with no expectations and no rushing around and getting dressed by a certain time to be somewhere.
This is the first time we've missed a church service as a family. And probably our last. So why do I feel so guilty? We engaged our Bible study small group on Friday night and served with other small group members on Saturday...But Jeff feels especially bad for missing Sunday service.
Oh, well...we'll still make time to honor the Lord in what we say and do today...I've got 91.5 WCIC's "Call to Worship" blaring in the background as the kids are engrossed in making a "Welcome Back" banner for my parents. Oh, and did I mention I'm pulling the children out of school tomorrow to pick apples with my parents? :)

No comments: