Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Picking

My parents took off about an hour ago. Sniff, sniff. Sigh. I'm sad to see them go. It was kind of bizarre to invite them into my Midwestern world. After taking tons of pictures of our adventures I realized that I failed to include them in even a single snapshot. Darn! Anyway, the kids and I took my (step)father to Tanner's Orchard on Monday. My mom had a stomachache, so she stayed behind. The kids had fun racing through the orchards to fill our bag with apples.

My apologies to the orchard if kids aren't allowed to climb trees! It was Max's favorite part of the experience...Of course in hindsight, I thought, "Gosh, Max was the only kid climbing trees at that place. Maybe it's prohibited." I'm not always the most thoughtful, what can I say? I enjoyed watching the kids roam around farmland, breathe fresh air and sample the caramel corn and apple cider.

The highlight of Delaney's day was catching a caterpillar she named Tiger. He's a darling furry creature who resembles fuzzy wire. As I type this I'm watching him crawl around a glass vase we cleaned out for him. The kids made me promise to give him fresh grass when they're away from our house. It's their pet. Isn't that pathetic? I'd like to get them a dog or something to really love on!

To cap off our day, we went swimming in an outdoor pool--in 60 degree weather and whipping winds. Delaney insisted we take advantage of my parents' hotel accommodations. Not the brightest idea! Of course, I jumped in the pool with the kids because they pleaded with me to play with them. Again, not the brightest idea. Oh, well. We made some sweet memories together.

No comments: