Saturday, September 5, 2009

Italian Riviera


We explored a piece of Paradise yesterday: the Cinque Terre. It was pure heaven...a rugged portion of the Italian Riviera. It's comprised of five villages with vibrantly colorful buildings. Part of its charm is that you won't find modern conveniences out there...cars are not allowed. You need to take a train to La Spezia and then transfer on other trains to explore the villages. It's a wildly charming magnet for hikers to trek from village to village.

It's unbelievable that one place can contain such lush beauty, great cuisine and fragrant aromas. Frankly, my lungs were tired from inhaling all the pollutants of the cities of Rome and Florence. When we arrived in Cinque Terre, I deeply inhaled the sea salt spray of the ocean and the faint aroma of coconuts in the air. Magnifique!

Jeff had to pull me back onto the train to leave because I didn't want to go! Before we departed, we walked the "Via Dell'Amore" or "Lovers Walk" which gives you the most breathtaking, panoramic view of the coast. Miles and miles of ocean are outstretched before you to see the varying hues of blue. It was gorgeous. I cried a little when we left...we took a late night train to Venice, which we'll be exploring today. I'm excited to see this new place but I miss Florence and the Cinque Terre. It made me homesick for Hawaii...

No comments: