Sunday, August 30, 2009

Re-connecting in Rome

Buon Giorno! & Grazie! are the only Italian phrases I've mastered. I say them both several times a day. Today Jeff and I had the pleasure of visiting the Catacombs--burial places for Christians who died in ancient Rome. It's quite haunting and rich with Christian symbolism, which functioned as a secret language for early Christians.
I'm learning a lot during my stay here. I love being immersed in another culture and enjoying the best life has to offer in Rome (art, beauty and history) and also seeing the underbelly of a bustling culture that thrives on tourism and allows graffiti artists to defile its architecture. It's sad to witness such ugliness in such a beautiful place.
For example, tonight I was thrilled to re-connect with old friends from Champaign...What are the chances we'd be traveling half-way around the world together, right? We met in the trendy Trastevere district in hopes of enjoying a nice meal. Well, first of all, graffiti lines the walls of this darling district. And secondly, the restaurant we chose was run by dishonest people trying to rip off tourists with mediocre meals and ridiculous charges. (If you're in Rome and see a quaint restaurant near Trastevere Square with orange tablecloths--run)! They tagged on a charge to the bill that made no sense and to Jeff's disbelief, I argued with the manager until she removed it. I mean, really...to take advantage of people--that's just low!
But it was fun to dine with friends for fun and familiarity...We're making lots of special memories together. And I think we found the perfect place to enjoy each other's company tomorrow night--the Ponte Sisto!

We stumbled a stretch of restaurants and outdoor shops under a bridge as we walked back to the bus stop. It's like a continuous fair by the water all summer long...Here's a snapshot of folks watching soccer (a national obsession) by projecting the picture on the arch of the bridge. And lastly, here's a dim photo of me and my honey winding up our third day abroad. Arrivederci!

No comments: