Saturday, August 15, 2009

Walk on the Wild Side


My church rented out the Peoria Zoo's Africa exhibit to kick off the start of a new season for our Women 2 Women ministry. Watching the animals roam once the sun set was an awesome experience. They're much more frisky when they're out of the hot summer sun. I was really impressed with the Africa exhibit. I've only gone to the zoo when it nothing more than a petting zoo...they did a terrific job with landscaping and you really feel like you're in an African desert.

What made the W2W event special was not only being a voyeur to the exotic creatures...but really getting a chance to fellowship with women I only see in passing at a Sunday service. And I so appreciated hearing the real, authentic hearts of the women who spoke (one of whom was my dear friend, Jada). More and more, I think women are searching for relationships with other women that's the real deal--none of this fake, superficial, sugar-coated exchange of niceties that passes for fellowship. I love that our church is moving in the direction of what I believe is the true heart of the Lord.

No comments: