Saturday, August 22, 2009

Special friends

I've got to tell you about the special friends I made today! My heart is brimming with joy just thinking about them. I had the absolute privilege of helping keep score at a bowling competition for the Special Olympics today. Judith is pictured with me here--she's one of the top bowlers in her division and quick to point out that I was initially getting everything wrong! By the time the second game rolled around she exclaimed, "Ms. Volunteer, you're finally getting the hang of it!"

I was especially proud of my special friend, Mary, who exclaimed with glee every time she hit the pins. She even bowled a spare! I can't even do that on the bowling edition of the Nintendo Wii. Mary was ever excited whenever she or one of her competitors scored well...and never complained of being tired even though I was tempted to at one point because my feet ached from standing for hours. But I wanted to keep to my feet to encourage my friends and cheer them on.
I'm no athlete by any stretch of the imagination...but the joy of being involved in the Special Olympics is infectious! I simply can't wait to volunteer again. If you're looking for a meaningful service experience to enrich your life, I promise this will bring you such pleasure! The athletes have amazing stories and they'll stretch your heart. One girl broke my heart when she said her parents don't visit her anymore (she's placed in a special home) but she always has the Special Olympics to look forward to. Now I do, too!

No comments: