Thursday, July 30, 2009

Grass is Always Greener Syndome...

I'm guilty of suffering from the "Grass is Always Greener" syndome...No matter how many things I've got going in my favor, a part of my mind fixates on what I lack, not what I have. I believe that most women, if we're being really honest with ourselves, would say we're naturally discontented. And it's especially hard to feel satisfied in a culture that promotes a "more" mentality...and a "me" mentality to boot!
I met with a group of women this past winter who also happen to work in radio...we chatted about our marriages, children, and radio trends...and then one woman piped up that she's been hearing more and more of women leaving their husbands out of pure boredom and dissatisfaction. Another woman echoed that she's witnessed the same phenomena. Women are prone to abandon their marriages because the grass looks greener on the other side.
I think for a long while, men have gotten a bum wrap for having affairs and leaving their wives...but the tables have turned in this generation. With so many opportunities available to both genders in our over-indulged society, it can't be assumed that when a marriage goes sour, it's always the guy's undoing.
I'm doing a Beth Moore study with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law called "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things"...about arming yourself with God's power in the age of seduction. She writes that "since our hearts are deceptive in their natural form, sometimes our feelings tell us we're less satisfied than we really are." The anecdote to such an obedience problem is to ACTIVELY GIVE THANKS. So that's what I'm going to do...write out things to be thankful for.
1. I'm grateful that Christ loves me when I'm unlovable.
2. I've got a husband who adores and appreciates me...and is wholly committed to our marriage.
3. I've got a fulfilling job that breathes incredible purpose and fun into my life.
The list goes on and on...and let me tell you, I've got to remind myself to continuously do this because my mind is so prone to wander!

No comments: