Saturday, December 19, 2009

Surf's Up!


Every winter, the North Shore on Oahu serves up some of the most impressive ocean swells in the world. For a lot of residents on the island, this only means one thing: Surf's Up! This afternoon, Jeff and I sprawled out on Waimea Beach, mesmerized by those who were daring enough to ride the waves. The month of December can bring swells of 25 feet and higher. Jeff wasn't expert enough to even attempt to get on a board there...

But he did surf at Waikiki Beach! He rented a surf board for two hours...but he couldn't quite make it an hour without quitting. Did I mention we're both terribly out of shape? Once he caught a wave, he called it good. 
Waikiki Beach is renown for being a tourist trap, but it's also the spot where surfing has its ancestral roots. The Hawaiian Kings surfed there...and it's also one of the best places for beginning surfers because the waves are so rolling and gentle. 
Jeff can't get enough of the water...I can't get enough of the sun. He's trying to convince me to go deep sea diving. I think I'll stick to the land, thank you!

No comments: