Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Lights Tour

If you ever plan to spend the Christmas season on Oahu, you should go on an evening boat tour of Pearl Harbor. The U.S. Navy offers free, 30-minute boat tours during three days in December featuring Christmas music...The boats glide past submarines that are decked out in dazzling red and green lights. Jeff caught his first glimpse of the USS Arizona and wandered through the museum. Hawaii boasts an impressive fleet of submarines...I didn't even realize until last night how many the island had.  

Of course, the big news on the island now is the impending arrival of President Obama. There's a no-fly zone stretching over a ten-mile radius of Kailua, so Jeff and I thought we'd head to Kailua Beach before Obama's scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Lord knows how many restrictions the Secret Service will impose when he arrives! Most presidents stay at Ford Island when they visit Hawaii...but Obama's a local and I'm sure he wants his kids to enjoy the beaches and hang-outs he did as a child. Maybe I'll bump into him at Leonard's when I grab my malasadas tomorrow! (If you're from Hawaii, you know what I'm talking about)...

No comments: