Friday, December 25, 2009

Ohana Christmas

I spent Christmas Eve re-connecting with family I haven't seen in over a decade...and also connecting with family I've never met before. Lots of hugs...game playing...and spectacular food. My heart will always be torn in two, with a portion in the Midwest and the largest part here in Hawaii. The island of Oahu will always be my home. I have mixed feelings about abandoning my island heritage and my family to plant roots in Central Illinois. But someday I'll return to Hawaii for good with Jeff and my kids in tow--even if it takes a decade to return home!

Alas, here's a snapshot of the centerpiece my mom purchased for my dining room table. I don't know why she warned me about it beforehand and made it sound scary! Her goal is to class up my house. So she bought me a beautiful candle stand & salt-and-pepper shakers from William-Sonoma, along with a red table runner and kitchen towels. She (along with my stepdad and brother) also wants to buy us a new sofa but I asked her for bedroom furniture instead. I've been doing without a dresser and bed headboard for years...our bedroom looks like a dumping ground for Goodwill. So I'd like it to be a little nicer...

Since Jeff & I are getting furniture as our big gift, we just opened a few gifts and watched my family tear open presents--it was hilarious. My mom got two designer purses and squealed, "You can never have too many purses or shoes!" Oh goodness...this is where I get my purse fetish. Jeff and I stepped into the Kate Spade store along Waikiki and my palms got sweaty. I thought, ok it's between my purse habit or adopting a baby. I guess I'll take the baby. 
I hope you're enjoying lots of time with family this Christmas season! I'm wishing you lots of love and aloha from my hometown. I'm praying for ice in Chicago so that our plane is delayed!

No comments: