Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hungry for Hawaii


Snorkeling all day in Hanauma Bay made me hungry for Hawaii's soul food--poke. World renown chefs are adapting this island specialty as their own--chopped up pieces of raw fish marinated in spices and herbs...and often mixed with seaweed and other relish. Jeff's afraid I'll get mercury poisoning because I'm stuffing my face with this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner! It's hard to resist when I know I won't get it back in Peoria.

The cuisine in Hawaii makes me cry, I've missed it so much. Here's a sample menu of what I've eaten today: Breakfast: bagels with guava cream cheese and pass-o-guava juice (I had malasadas yesterday); Lunch: taco poke (raw octopus pieces marinated in hot spices and onions), spam & rice, and butter mochi; Dinner: Salmon poke (raw salmon marinated in an onion relish and soy sauce). Dessert: mochi marinated in a sweet teriyaki sauce. The other night Jeff pleaded, "Could we please have chicken wings or something normal for a change?" Ahhhh....normal is such a relative term. 

No comments: