Monday, June 1, 2009

Pioneer Day


This weekend Jeff & I took Max to Sommer Park in Peoria, to get a taste of what life was life for Peorians back in the early 1900's...The park district hosted something they call "Pioneer Days" where folks dress in period clothing and show us how they did blacksmithing, school lessons, woodworking, and heirloom vegetable gardening. There was a beautiful horse out back that Max loved to pet.

I will never look at a candle the same again after trying to create my own hand-dipped candle. Basically, you get some string on a stick and you walk around in a circle, taking turns to dip your string into the wax. It takes about 60 walks around to make a decent candle. After one go-around, I was done! I was the first one to hop on a hayride out of there. The park district is hosting another Pioneer Day on June 28th. I'd recommend it if you're a lover of nature and history...But I'm not a fan of either so I'm going to pass if Jeff and the kids want to go again!

No comments: