Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Amish Town


I've got so much respect for the Amish. I fall to pieces when I'm without Internet for more than a day...I can't imagine life without the modern trappings of cell phones, cars, lights...and McDonalds! I took two pit stops on my way down to Amish-town because I needed a McCafe pick-me-up! On Monday, I took a day trip to Arcola to visit a friend who recently relocated to Champaign. It was great girl bonding time...of course we did some shopping at the Tanger Outlets...and it was fascinating to observe a group of people living a life that's so foreign to me.

The only mistake I made was signing up for the buggy shop tour. Do yourself a favor and skip it. I should've gone for the buggy ride itself. I didn't realized I signed up to hear the nuts and bolts of how to make a buggy, which is quite the yawn! And if you visit Arcola on a Monday, the only Amish eatery open is a hop, skip and a jump away in Arthur. It's called Yoder's Kitchen. The price is nice and I had the best BLT sandwich of my life--for only $3.50!
My friend and I had such a fab time, we decided to make an annual trip of this! Next time, we're eating with the Amish. Did you know you could do that?

No comments: