Sunday, March 22, 2009

Who has time to read?


"True love demands that, like a bride with her bouquet, you toss your fragile heart into the waiting crowd of living hands and trust that they will catch it."--Kate Braestrup
This weekend I ducked away for a few hours to--gasp--read! My husband's grandfather recommended a book called "Here If You Need Me." It's a compelling true story of a woman who followed in the footsteps of her husband who passed away before he could achieve his dream of being a chaplain in the Maine Warden Service, which sets up search-and-rescue missions throughout the state. She wrote about tromping through my old stomping grounds in Ellsworth and Orrington...comforting people in times of unimaginable loss. I can't say I entirely agree with her theology, but I found the book poignant and well worth reading. I used to be such an avid reader as a kid...before real life broke in with laundry, dirty dishes, working 40-hours a week, making dinner after dinner, taking care of a husband and two kids. After a long work week, it's so nice to steal away for some silence and lose myself in someone else's world. I hope you all find time for yourselves in the business of life!

No comments: