Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekend to Remember


Now that we're promoting the upcoming "Weekend to Remember" marriage conference, I just want to encourage all of you married folks to attend if you can, whether you've been married one year or 25 years. Jeff & I went to this conference as newlyweds in 2008 and we're hoping to go again.
Our marriage has been an unfolding journey of both abundant blessings and complications of blended family life. I recently heard from a couple of listeners who are really struggling with their marital commitments, wondering if it's worth sticking out a situation that fails to bring them happiness. You know, it took me over a year to realize that marriage isn't designed to make us happy but to make us holy. I stubbornly resisted that adage myself for a long time in the midst of my personal struggles.
At times when things felt hopeless to me, I was fortunate to have a husband who insisted, "We're sticking this out to the end. Divorce is not an option. I love you and we're gonna do the hard work of making this work." Jeff had his family fall apart once...and still feels awful that his children are the victims of a shattered life. I joke with friends that Jeff is the true communicator in our family. We're 100% honest and vulnerable with each other, we talk everything out, and Jeff doesn't let a day go by without telling me how loved, appreciated and respected I am as his wife.
Last night I was sad with the winter blues. Jeff held me, listened to my heart, and reminded me, "You need to know you're my best friend...the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you more than you will ever know."
I love him right back, knowing that love is a daily choice we make--not just a feeling to coast on until something (seemingly) better comes along. I know for sure in my life that nothing better than Jeff will ever come along. He's God's best for me and I'm so thankful.

No comments: