Saturday, January 10, 2009

Luau time!


The dead of winter is prime time for a luau! At least, that's what Scott & I thought...what better way to beat the winter blues than to bring the islands to our studio? We held our first "Hawaiian Taste Test" and invited three listeners--Donovan, Erica and Aaron--to try some of my favorite Hawaiian snacks! My mom sent Scott an assortment of goodies from Oahu and since misery loves company, Scott wanted listeners to come in and grind down with him! It was so much fun! My favorite part was watching Donovan's eyes bulge when he popped that lemon peel in his mouth!

Here's a snapshot of the snacks. We started out with the dried cuttlefish...and then tried the dried lemon peel, pickled mango, arare (salted soy crackers wrapped in seaweed), popcorn with li hing mui power (salted dried plum), and seeds covered in the salty/sweet li hing poweder. It was fun to bring some of my heritage to my radio family. You can learn so much of someone's culture by trying their favorite foods. I hope Scott's palate recovered!

No comments: