Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abstract painting


You're looking at my first failed effort at abstract art. I signed up for an abstract painting class to jog my creative juices. I simply want to have more fun and re-wire my brain to learn a new skill. Let me tell you, I'm having a blast meeting new people and forgetting my life for a couple of hours while I experiment with color. But I find abstract art a challenge because it can be ANYTHING. My instructor encouraged me to let my brain wander and feel my way through the paints while tapping into my subconscious. How on earth can I call up my subconscious? All I know is that while I may not have much innate talent, painting is oh-so-fun! It's like therapy. Especially with abstract painting. It's not about creating art to please someone else--it's about expressing yourself with color. Now THAT I can do--even if no one finds my pieces pleasing. Scott wants me to ask you if you can interpret this painting. He says it looks like a starfish (especially when you turn it on its side) and my subconscious is screaming, "I WANT TO MOVE BACK TO HAWAII!!!" No kidding! I could've told you that! :)

No comments: