Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Art...is hard


No, you're not hallucinating. This blob of blue-green "art" to your left took me three hours to create. Turns out I'm not Van Gogh. But my art instructor did confirm what I already knew: I'm a control freak. After painting what I thought was a lovely sunset and ocean scene, my teacher implored me to, "Let go. Abstract art is a real challenge for people who like to exert control over their lives. You need to relax and tap into your subconscious--that part of your mind that takes over when you're in the half-way place between sleeping and reading a book before your head hits the pillow."
So I painted a layer of white over the canvas and covered it with blue-green hues for a backdrop of I don't know what it'll be yet. My instructor's advice alone was worth the $100 I paid for the class. It's something I struggle with in my life--I'm always tempted to exert my own desires upon my husband and the two children I inherited by marriage. I'm a planner and a do-er. I like to make things happen. But sometimes you've just gotta let life happen and roll with the punches. I'm still learning how to do that.

No comments: