Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My favorite foods


Ladies and gentlemen, to your left you will see my favorite food of all-time: raw fish marinated in spices and scallions that can only be found in Hawaii. Every time I come home, my parents have pounds of raw fish waiting for me in the fridge. I also enjoy raw crab, raw squid and raw octopus--that's actually my husband's favorite!

Now to your right is the WORLD'S BEST DONUT--otherwise known as a MALASADA. Ohhhhh...Hawaii is known for its beaches, diversity of culture...and a Portuguese-based confection called a malasada. I haven't seen it anywhere else. It's basically fried dough with a chewy center rolled in sugar. If you're ever in Hawaii, make sure to stop in at Leonard's in Honolulu and pick up one of these pastries. I promise you, it'll be one of the best things you've ever tasted!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I can relate to you and your love of hawaiian food. We are from the central Illinois area and lived in hawaii for 4 years, from 1986 to 1990. We have been in Peoria now for 18 years, but our son and his wife moved to Hawaii in 2004, so we can continue our love of Hawaii through them. I love taco poke, but my son likes Ahi poke the best, especially from this one store (on the corner of a busy street), but I can't think of the name of it right now. The malasada from Leonardos are wonderful. I also miss laulau that we used to make in a pressure cooker out of ti leaves from our back yard and "wild" pig - so good! and manapua - you can't get those wonderful things here either, but there is a place in Chicago's China town that does have pretty good one.

I know what you are feeling with the being homesick for Christmas, but mine was in reverse of yours, when we lived in Hawaii I was so wanting to come home (central Illinois) for the 4 years that we lived there and did not get to be back in Illinois with our family for Christmas.

Our son and his wife loves it in Hawaii and I enjoy hearing you on the radio and it reminds me of them and what they are having and doing, thanks for being there and remember the Lord does give us the strength and the comfort we need. I find it fills me with a desire to pray for others who do not know my Lord and my Friend because I don't know how they can get through the loneliness in their lives without Him.

Our son and his wife will be coming home here for Christmas (they wouldn't miss it even though they now hate coming to the cold and snow) and they are expecting our first grandchild in June. That should really pull our heart string even more to Hawaii again.

Thank you again for encouraging me,Lynne