Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Baking like the Amish


Now here's a sight I've never seen in the two years I've known my husband: JEFF BAKING. I about died watching him divide batter into two loaf pans. Our friend, Crystal, gave me the starter for Amish Friendship Bread and my husband loved it so much, we decided to make it. It took about ten days total (about eight days of mushing the bag and two days of adding stuff to the mix). It's kind of like the chain letter of baked goods...Someone gives you a starter (cup of batter) and you follow a recipe to make a loaf of bread and four other starters so you can pass it along to your friends, hence the term "friendship bread." When we talked about "weird foods" today I thought about this...The difference is, Amish Friendship Bread is DELISH...I'm not so sure about making rutabagas, as one listener suggested!

No comments: