Saturday, November 15, 2008

Allowance Dilemma...Resolved


About a month ago, I shared a dilemma my husband, Jeff, and I were discussing: Should we give Delaney, 9, and Max, 6, a flat-rate weekly allowance for chores or should we give Delaney more because she's older and capable of doing more difficult tasks? I was in favor of giving the same amount of money to each child while my husband wanted to give Delaney a little extra.

Well, thanks to a caller who suggested that we "pay-per-chore" to make things fair AND enforce a rule that any misbehavior is grounds for subtracting allowance, we've decided to do just that! A listener also suggested that we hand out "chips" of some sort instead of loose change so that it could be redeemed for money at the end of the week. Brilliant idea! Thank you!
My husband and I both think it's a great way to teach the kids to work for their money, contribute to their family while being respectful, and learn to spend, save and give to the church responsibly.
--Catherine

No comments: