Friday, January 29, 2010

Books to curl up with...

It's one of those God things.
I made a random call to thank a listener for supporting 91.5 WCIC when I happened to connect with a published Christian author who was looking for someone to join her writer's group.
Without giving it much thought, I accepted her invitation. A group of us gals met for coffee the other day and for the first time in a long time, I felt energized to share my real thoughts and heart in written form. Now I've got the safety net and expertise of a group of women I can trust to inspire me along this journey...
In the meantime, I've got to share a book that whet my appetite for good fiction. I burned my broccoli-cheese soup last night because I was so engrossed in the page-turner, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962, the stories of three very different women (two of them black maids, one of them an aspiring white writer) are woven together in a tale that brings a fresh perspective to our country's racial divide.

Jeff & I are also reading through the book, "Love & War: Finding the Marriage You Dreamed Of" by John & Stasi Eldredge. A couple of nights a week, we take turns reading through chapters out loud together. When it comes to offering a real life snapshot of marriage, they nail it. Their stories provide a great springboard for intimate discussions on overcoming challenges inherent in most marriages...and Jeff & I look forward to reading through it during our quality time together.
I hope the cold of winter provides one good thing: a good excuse to curl up by the fire (or in my case, the space heater) with a good book!
Happy reading, everyone!

No comments: