Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things...

-"You're fasting from Facebook? I'm fasting from homework!" announced Delaney.
-"Daddy, why didn't you name me Darn-it? It goes better with Delaney. Darn-it & Delaney!" exclaimed Max.
-"Stop kissing. We get it. Your life is a love story. We don't need to see it," said Delaney.
-"Thanks for making me do laundry," sighed Delaney. "What about Golden Boy over there? What's HE doing?"
-"Catherine, for such a fancy person, you sure don't have a fancy life! I mean, look at your car," said Delaney.
-(I was teasing the kids and asked if they loved me). "Yeah, because you spoil us," said Max. "That's not the only reason, Max!" exclaimed Delaney. "But it's the main one!" he insisted.

The kids had me in stitches on Tuesday night. I love their honesty. It's a refreshing break from the duplicity that runs rampant in most adults. Our pastor delivered a thought-provoking sermon referencing the scandals of 2009. Tiger Woods. John Edwards. David Letterman.
In a culture where image is everything, as believers who know it truly means nothing. This week I've tried to re-examine my motives in everything I did and said. I've got lots of work to do.
I've also got two kids who keep me honest.

No comments: