Saturday, April 18, 2009

Steven & Smitty Rock!


Worshipful. Intimate. Nostalgic. That about sums up my experience of enjoying the United Tour. Scott and I had the pleasure of attending the fabulous concert featuring Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman. The concert opened and closed praising God. My heart was so moved by the stories Steven shared of his children and moving through the grief process in the wake of the tragedy that claimed the life of his beloved Maria.
As Scott and I shook hands with Steven backstage, I desperately wanted to share how much I rely on his music to provide a backdrop for my life and how he inspired me to pray about adopting a child of my own after hearing him share how the heart of God is really about caring for orphans. But I just thanked him for his music and being an inspiration. We were warned by Steven's dear friend beforehand that he's still navigating the waters of grief and we should keep stories brief and err on the side of being very respectful.
Steven was incredibly gracious and sincere and thanked us profusely for supporting his music...He signed autographs and listened intently to people sharing their thoughts with him. We got to introduce him to our lucky winner of the grand prize drawing to win front row tickets and backstage passes. It was very cool!

After the concert, I rolled into my house at about 11:30, absolutely beat and ready for bed...But Delaney bounced down the stairs and greeted me with a hug. She must've been on a sugar high. My mom bought her jelly beans with the weirdest flavors--ear wax, baby wipes, vomit, pencil shavings, etc. Gross! So...we did a taste test for about a half hour before I tucked her into bed! It's now past midnight and she's anything but tired. She keeps asking me for stories and won't let me bathe and go to bed! But I wouldn't have it any other way...

No comments: