Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saying Farewell to Friends


I'd be lost without my small group of friends who meet every Friday night for dinner and Bible study. Our "small group" has actually ballooned into a "large group" of 17 people from all walks of life...single, married, college-students, middle-aged believers, etc. (Not pictured are core members Jada, Jennifer and Jason). They are my favorite group of people and I simply could not function here in Peoria, 3,000 miles away from my family, without their love and support.
But yesterday was bittersweet because we had to say good-bye to a dear small group friend, Peter, who's leaving for another adventure in Wisconsin. Peter has always impressed me with his generous heart and desire to follow the Lord despite the many temptations life brings...He's still in college but he's worlds more mature than 90 percent of the grown men I know! Tears were shed and hands were laid on him in prayer as we said good-bye. Of course, this farewell isn't final--he'll always have an open invitation to visit our small group family whenever he wants and we're praying that the economy turns around and Caterpillar hires again soon so that he can return.
Sadly, the winds of change are blowing in our small group. We might be losing five other members in light of school changes, job offers, and the opportunity to start another small group as ours becomes so large! I know in my head that change is a fact of life and the growth it brings is good for our spirits--but my heart can't reconcile with the departure of people I've grown to love so dearly.

No comments: