Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I GRADUATED...


...from Course 1 of "the Wilton Method of Cake Decorating." I know, I know. It's not a big deal. And it's tacky to brag. Especially about things that are not a big deal! But I'm so proud of myself for actually completing something. I like to give up on things when they get tough. But I stuck this one out for a month and I'm so happy I finally learned how to decorate a cake! At least an average one. I'm not even good enough to work for the Kroger bakery but at least I can bake dessert for my family! Pictured on the left is my birthday cake. It's a little weird to make your own b-day cake, but I figured, "What they hey?"

It was the thrill of my life to make a rose with icing. I still haven't mastered it, but I love the process! When I'm creating a flower or lacing a cake with borders, I'm in this Zen-like state of concentration and lose track of time. It's a great stress reliever! It's just so time-consuming. Now I know why wedding cakes are so expensive! It's like an art form that takes ages to complete. Maybe that'll be my next challenge...making a wedding cake!

No comments: