Sunday, March 21, 2010

In the kitchen...

Who knew the girl could peel potatoes? I don't give the kids enough credit. With some direction and a little incentive (I told Laney if she helped me cook & clean I'd take her to "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"), we made ham & potato soup in 45 minutes flat. Pretty good! I was hoping we could say good-bye to soup weather for a couple of seasons but with the mix of rain/sleet/snow we got this weekend, I was in the mood for comfort food. A couple of friends asked for the recipe since it's one of the few my entire family can agree on, so here it is.
I tweaked it to my liking from one I saw in a book:
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 and 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
Combine the ham, onions and potatoes in water and boil about 15 minutes or until tender in a stockpot. Then add bouillon and salt and pepper. Meanwhile in another saucepan, melt the butter and slowly add all the flour...then all the milk to create a rue--stir about 5 minutes to get the lumps out. Add the rue to the stockpot. Cook soup until heated through and serve!

No comments: