Monday, May 25, 2009

The Great Camp Adventure '09


My mom says I remind her of the star of the old TV show "Green Acres"--her husband plucks her out of living a glamorous life in the city to re-locate in the country. She sings:
New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic to the smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

Ah...now, relaxing in a penthouse in NYC is my idea of heaven on earth. Jeff's idea of lovin' life is being at one with nature. So, despite my protests, we took the kids camping--actual stake-your-tent-in-the-ground camping--this Memorial Day weekend.
Do you see how teeny this tent is in relation to our family? You can click on the video at the bottom of this post and Max and Laney will give you a tour.

I still fail to see the beauty of vacationing in dirt and grime, but the kids had a BLAST camping this weekend. We were packed like sardines in a tent designed for 2-3 people! Jeff and I shared a twin air mattress! Did I mention he's six feet tall and not exactly rail thin? I barely got a wink of sleep and had to walk five minutes to the nearest restroom at 3am! But earlier in the day we took the kids swimming, Jeff enjoyed the hot tub, and we went mini-golfing!

It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without our friends, Jennifer and Jason, who were staying in an RV on the campgrounds this weekend. We roasted hot dogs and s'mores for dinner and played games into the night. Despite the rigors of getting back to nature, it was a neat bonding experience. The kids are already asking if we're going camping again next year...Uh, can I take a rain check?

No comments: