Thursday, February 26, 2009

Is a Sip of Coffee Cheating?


I'll be the first to admit that I'm weak. Sometimes I think the Lord just shakes His head at me for making promises I find difficult to keep! Yesterday was Day #1 of my fast from coffee. I went through the entire day without a single drop...However, I was also hammered with a migraine which had me vomiting all last night after dinner. It was awful! I also feel depression and a lack of concentration creeping into my mind as I go through my coffee withdrawal.
This morning, Janine filled in for Scott, and brewed a fabulous pot of Starbucks coffee. Ugh...it was TOO TEMPTING! With my head throbbing at 4am, I just couldn't resist and I took a sip! Mind you, I didn't go for the full cup or even half a cup. But I took a Tylenol with my sip of coffee and I felt a lot better.
So...my new Lent commitment is to WEAN MYSELF FROM COFFEE. I'm going to allow myself 1/4 cup as soon as I get up in the morning for the rest of the week until I can do without it entirely.
I think the Lord will understand that I need to take things slow...and the spirit of this sacrifice is the same--to wean myself off an earthly addiction in favor of hearing from Him better. I'm already learning a lot about my weaknesses at the beginning of this Lent season.

No comments: