Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happiness = Being an Aunt

You know you love being an aunt when...
Your niece asks you to take her to the "potty" and it's the highlight of your night.
You've got a mean headache but you can't stop twirling your toddler niece because she wants to dance!
You've got adult company to talk to...but you really just want to give the teddy bears tea.

I'm blessed to have the two sweetest nieces in the world (and the most darling baby nephew) and they're the loves of my life. One of my nieces kept calling me her "big sister" tonight...I reminded her that I'm her aunt (even though I may be young enough to be her sister...ha!) and what a glorious role I get to play in her life! I think being an aunt is kind of like being a grandparent. You get to lavish the little ones with love and enjoy a special bond with them...without any disciplinary demands of parenthood! I LOVE IT! On this Mother's Day weekend I'm especially thankful for my sisters-in-law who are raising the most delightful young ladies I know. And I will be calling on them quite frequently in the future to factor in some critical quality aunt-niece time. I think American Girl is calling my name...what do you say, girls?

No comments: