Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fighting the Flu

High fever? Yup. Body aches? Yessir! Chills? Oh boy, did I have 'em! Looks like I got the flu.
Last night was especially bad. I slept on and off but it's hard when your throat's on fire and your head is throbbing. Delaney did a cute little "Get Well Soon" jig for me. But things got a little dicey at 9pm, when my darling ten-year-old stepdaughter decided to practice her violin. Mind you, her bedroom is smack right next to mine and the walls are thin, so I could hear every screeching sound. I went ballistic when I discovered her father actually suggested that she practice her instrument in her room.
Now, I've been known to have a little temper problem. But I let it get the best of me last night. Not my shining moment as a stepmom for sure!
It's very humbling when you have to apologize to your kids for over-reacting. I had a legitimate reason to be upset but I could've exercised a little more self-control, that's for sure! And that's definitely something I want to pass on to the kids. So Delaney and I shared a heart-to-heart today. And she said, "That's ok. I still love you. I have anger management problems, too. Especially with Max." So we talked through what an appropriate response would be when we're angry and how the Lord would want us to relate to one another. We both agreed that we need to take a time-out the instant we feel overly frustrated.
I find it so funny that Delaney is not my daughter by blood because we're so alike. Tonight I promised her a girl's night out...hopefully my low-grade fever will finally go away!

No comments: